Skip to main content

60 Reasons to Recover


Hi warriors,

Recovery is hard. It's demotivating. You fight for so long to get down to a low weight, that having to gain weight just feels... wrong. But it's not. I promise you it's not. Everyone has different reasons for recovery - more individual ones, like specific hobbies and interests that they want to return to - but here is my fairly generic list.


  1. To have healthy, thick hair
  2. More energy
  3. To truly enjoy food, rather than fearing it
  4. To be able to have children some day
  5. To be able to travel without fears for your blood pressure
  6. To be able to run a charity race without fears for your heart health
  7. To be able to concentrate and perform better at work/school
  8. So that you can give good cuddles again
  9. So that you can make your family and friends proud
  10. So that you can be there for your friends, and celebrate birthdays with them rather than cancelling because the food horrifies you
  11. So that one day, someone can make you breakfast in bed, and you'll be able to accept their kindness
  12. So that you can go on a date with someone you find attractive, and really enjoy it
  13. Anorexia will kill you. It may take time, but that's the truth
  14. So that you have time free to pursue other interests and grow as a person
  15. So that you can get to sleep at night unaided
  16. So that you can enjoy the chill of winter, rather than being huddled up in a million jumpers and still feeling cold
  17. So that you can get drinks and have a good party with your friends
  18. So that you have more friends, because you will have more time to dedicate to maintaining the friendship
  19. To do things that make you happy
  20. So that your friends and family don't have to go to your funeral a few years down the line
  21. To have birthday cake on your birthday
  22. To wear the outfits that feel good
  23. To enjoy shopping again
  24. So that you're not living every day with restrictions, never truly having what you want
  25. So that you can value yourself as a person, and not a number
  26. So that you can be strong
  27. Because there are so many things that you can do with your life
  28. So that you can see the beauty in other people, rather than just seeing bodies
  29. To enjoy Christmas, Halloween and any other festivals again
  30. To thank your body - after all, it's done a lot to keep you alive up until this point
  31. Strong nails
  32. Fewer breakouts
  33. Lower risk of cancer at a healthy weight
  34. You are already beautiful, always will be, and you deserve to be happy
  35. So that you can joke around and have fun with your friends with all the new energy you have
  36. So that you can sit down comfortably
  37. So that you don't get bruised all the time
  38. To reach your full height potential
  39. So that you have more 'happy hormones' and feel less depressed
  40. To have your tea or coffee the way you actually like it 
  41. So that you can trust the people around you without assuming that they are 'sabotaging' you
  42. So that you can have a real smile
  43. To love yourself
  44. To enjoy swimming and bubble baths without worrying about your body
  45. To want to actually love your partner, rather than feeling withdrawn
  46. To feel the relief of eating something of which the calories are completely unknown, and finding that you just don't care
  47. To be spontaneous, rather than trapped by routine
  48. So people remember what you did, not what you looked like
  49. So that you are not known for your saddening qualities alone
  50. To enjoy trying new foods on holiday
  51. So that, when somebody tells you that you're beautiful, you believe them
  52. To have memorable summers
  53. To be able to enjoy exercise, and see it as a celebration of what your body can do
  54. To be able to enjoy reading and TV, because you can focus on what you're taking in
  55. To make people smile when you are actually able to remember all the little details about them
  56. To be able to try new things
  57. So that you can have a 'cheeky Nandos' when you're out with your friends
  58. So that you can be happy without suffering
  59. So that you can be a stronger and more compassionate person after this
  60. You deserve it





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Food Challenges

Hi guys, I'm quite lucky to say I've never had any strong 'fear foods' in the sense that these foods cause genuine anxiety and panic, however there are certain foods that I go out of my way to avoid or generally feel uncomfortable at the thought of eating. So... this is my list! ('Semi-fear') foods I would like to eat: Stroganoff Pasta Stir fry Shepard's pie Pancakes Tacos Enchiladas Quiche Crumble Ice cream Afternoon tea Fruit juice Risotto Crisp sandwiches Sausage sandwiches Afternoon tea A pasty American pancake stacks Croissants Sweet waffles Cinnamon rolls Ice lollies Foods I would like to cook/bake (again, on some occasions - I always loved baking!): Praline Scones Cider Beer Kombucha Lattes Polish-style stuffed cabbage Bread and butter pudding Coconut yoghurt Pumpkin pie Pecan pie I feel like I should also point out that I'm a vegan, so any recipes for these things on here will be veggie-friendly :)

How I'm trying to repair my hair

Hey guys, My hair falling out was one of the main reasons that I chose to recover. It was that final sign that things just weren't okay, and never would be unless I changed my ways. I dyed and bleached my hair a lot throughout my ED, so that of course also had a negative impact and my hair ended up being not-so-great. I'm hoping that a few months down the line I'll be able to do a great before-and-after, but for the moment, this is what I'm doing to try and repair the damage. I'm using baby shampoo as it's a lot less harsh on my hair, and also removes less of the hair-dye so that I do not have to dye it as frequently I've switched to a semi-permanent hair dye and will be returning to my natural colour when it fades out When possible, I'm using my fingers or a wide-combed brush to comb through my hair (especially when it's wet!) so that I don't tear it or create split ends I'm only straightening it when strictly necessary, and al