Skip to main content

What Recovery Means to Me


Hi guys,

For motivation, I thought I'd make a list of everything I'm fighting for.


  • Eating the amount I actually fancy rather than a serving size
  • Eating cake on my birthday rather than some low calorie mush that I've made
  • Spending days out at the beach rather than the supermarket
  • Reading fashion/travel blogs and watching those videos rather than ones about health or food
  • Indulging in chick flicks and chocolate on my period rather than wondering if I'll be infertile for life
  • Enjoying all my favourite sports again
  • Being able to share a bag of crisps with my friends rather than worrying about whether I'll be able to log the actual amount that I had
  • Being able to focus on my school work and knowing I've done the best that I could
  • Having the ability to lie in in the morning
  • Getting drunk with my friends without worrying about the calories
  • Going clothes shopping and judging the outfit rather than myself
  • Letting go of perfectionism
  • Rekindling old friendships
  • Looking forward to dates (and being able to get them!) rather than doing extensive research on what I should choose to eat
  • Going out for lunch with my parents
  • Celebrating with champagne
  • Friends actually wanting to play with and style my hair again, because it won't fall out anymore
  • Being happy about breakfast in bed, or surprise food
  • Baking
  • Reading novels rather than cookery books
  • Spending my days pursuing hobbies rather than looking at nutrition labels
  • Never feeling restricted again
  • Living long enough to be a crazy cat lady
  • Happiness
  • Dyeing my hair lots of colours, and not being afraid that it will fall out
  • Being healthy enough to travel, and trying all those exotic foods
  • Painting my (long and healthy) nails with my friends
  • Enjoying bubble baths without judging my body
  • Waking up and having something good to do that day
  • Baking (and indulging in!) the good stuff, not something like those low calorie molten brownies I once made *shudders*
  • Finding, and creating, myself
  • Getting compliments on my body rather than comments of concern
  • Not really caring what other people think of my body anyway
  • Looking at myself in the mirror, not just my body
  • Not caring about bloating
  • Being a less judgemental person, and paying little to no attention to food choices
  • Having a luxurious Christmas dinner
  • Being able to get a quick snack when I'm out and about without thinking twice about it
  • Being able to try a food/drink when someone asks, "Want some?"
  • Having real dreams and goals, rather than dreams of low calorie junk food and goals that are no more than a number on the scale
  • Looking forward to the future
  • Having room in my head
  • Being able to make new foods spontaneously 
  • Fantasising about boys/girls rather than food
  • Having a movie night with my family
  • Getting popcorn at the cinema
  • Having good things to do
  • Having genuine interests, not just food and nutrition
  • Having a life that is worth living
Of course, recovery is something different to everyone. But these thoughts and this kind of life is the goal for me right now.
- A



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Food Challenges

Hi guys, I'm quite lucky to say I've never had any strong 'fear foods' in the sense that these foods cause genuine anxiety and panic, however there are certain foods that I go out of my way to avoid or generally feel uncomfortable at the thought of eating. So... this is my list! ('Semi-fear') foods I would like to eat: Stroganoff Pasta Stir fry Shepard's pie Pancakes Tacos Enchiladas Quiche Crumble Ice cream Afternoon tea Fruit juice Risotto Crisp sandwiches Sausage sandwiches Afternoon tea A pasty American pancake stacks Croissants Sweet waffles Cinnamon rolls Ice lollies Foods I would like to cook/bake (again, on some occasions - I always loved baking!): Praline Scones Cider Beer Kombucha Lattes Polish-style stuffed cabbage Bread and butter pudding Coconut yoghurt Pumpkin pie Pecan pie I feel like I should also point out that I'm a vegan, so any recipes for these things on here will be veggie-friendly :)

How I'm trying to repair my hair

Hey guys, My hair falling out was one of the main reasons that I chose to recover. It was that final sign that things just weren't okay, and never would be unless I changed my ways. I dyed and bleached my hair a lot throughout my ED, so that of course also had a negative impact and my hair ended up being not-so-great. I'm hoping that a few months down the line I'll be able to do a great before-and-after, but for the moment, this is what I'm doing to try and repair the damage. I'm using baby shampoo as it's a lot less harsh on my hair, and also removes less of the hair-dye so that I do not have to dye it as frequently I've switched to a semi-permanent hair dye and will be returning to my natural colour when it fades out When possible, I'm using my fingers or a wide-combed brush to comb through my hair (especially when it's wet!) so that I don't tear it or create split ends I'm only straightening it when strictly necessary, and al

60 Reasons to Recover

Hi warriors, Recovery is hard. It's demotivating. You fight for so long to get down to a low weight, that having to gain weight just feels... wrong. But it's not. I promise you it's not. Everyone has different reasons for recovery - more individual ones, like specific hobbies and interests that they want to return to - but here is my fairly generic list. To have healthy, thick hair More energy To truly enjoy food, rather than fearing it To be able to have children some day To be able to travel without fears for your blood pressure To be able to run a charity race without fears for your heart health To be able to concentrate and perform better at work/school So that you can give good cuddles again So that you can make your family and friends proud So that you can be there for your friends, and celebrate birthdays with them rather than cancelling because the food horrifies you So that one day, someone can make you breakfast in bed, and you'll be able to a