Skip to main content

18 Ways to Increase Calorie Intake


Hey guys,

I know a lot of people struggle to get a sufficient intake to become an ideal weight during recovery, and, whilst I recommend working with a nutritionist or counselor to resolve the underlying issues and help you become more comfortable with an increased intake and volume, this is my advice for getting sufficient energy in the meantime.

I also want to point out that I am in no way a nutritionist, I am just pointing out what worked for me! 😊


  1. Smoothies are great if you struggle with an increased volume. To these, you can add things like nut butter, seeds, coconut oil, avocados, dates, bananas and protein powder
  2. Cook foods in oil where possible, rather than water
  3. Opt for dried fruit rather than fresh
  4. Add extra toppings to your oatmeal, such as coconut chips, peanut butter, dark chocolate, bananas, dates, nuts and/or seeds
  5. Swap simple side salads for those featuring nuts, beans, seeds, extra veggies etc. 
  6. Switch side salads for things like beans or mushy peas when you are having baked potatoes, or rice when you are having curries and chillis
  7. Eat more frequently, maybe having 4-8 more manageable meals each day
  8. Drink your calories in things like milk, yoghurt drinks, nutritional drinks and protein shakes
  9. Snack more often, especially on things like nuts and seeds
  10. Incorporate more fat into your diet, especially if you are struggling with issues relating to hormones (healthy fats include avocado, nuts and seeds, olive oil, and dark chocolate)
  11. Limit your exercise so that more nutrition goes into repairing your body
  12. Swap dressings like salsa for those with more nutrients, like tahini, coleslaw or guacamole
  13. Stop using the low fat versions of things like milk or yoghurt, and opt for those with full nutrition
  14. Use a bit extra of dressings and spreads
  15. Use more toppings on your food, such as cheese or substitute, sauces and dressings
  16. Eat dessert if you feel like it/have room to (recovery is all about eating what you feel like and letting go of restrictions; if you want dessert, enjoy it!)
  17. Cut down on caffeine and other stimulants that may be suppressing your appetite and hunger
  18. Allow other people to serve you food or dine out if you are struggling to know what a normal portion looks like

That's all I can think of today, and I hope it helps!
If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear about them in the comments :)
-A




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Food Challenges

Hi guys, I'm quite lucky to say I've never had any strong 'fear foods' in the sense that these foods cause genuine anxiety and panic, however there are certain foods that I go out of my way to avoid or generally feel uncomfortable at the thought of eating. So... this is my list! ('Semi-fear') foods I would like to eat: Stroganoff Pasta Stir fry Shepard's pie Pancakes Tacos Enchiladas Quiche Crumble Ice cream Afternoon tea Fruit juice Risotto Crisp sandwiches Sausage sandwiches Afternoon tea A pasty American pancake stacks Croissants Sweet waffles Cinnamon rolls Ice lollies Foods I would like to cook/bake (again, on some occasions - I always loved baking!): Praline Scones Cider Beer Kombucha Lattes Polish-style stuffed cabbage Bread and butter pudding Coconut yoghurt Pumpkin pie Pecan pie I feel like I should also point out that I'm a vegan, so any recipes for these things on here will be veggie-friendly :)

Other People's Progress Pictures

Hey guys, Recently, I've seen a lot of before and after pics floating around, and I often end up comparing myself to them. In many cases, the person goes from emaciated to fit. Sometimes it makes me judge myself, and wonder if my recovery has gone 'wrong' since I'm not ripped and lean like they are. I know this isn't the case, however. It's difficult to not create a comparison, but, if anyone is struggling with this like I am, these are the things I bear in mind: Many of these people have been recovered for years, and only built muscle after being declared a healthy weight and fit to exercise  If I've been told not to exercise, it's for my own good - I can do all that later, but, right now, my health is a priority My weight has not redistributed yet - it may take 6 months to a year to fully redistribute Realistically, immediately after weight restoration, I may not like my shape, but I must accept it because with a continued healthy lifestyle

60 Reasons to Recover

Hi warriors, Recovery is hard. It's demotivating. You fight for so long to get down to a low weight, that having to gain weight just feels... wrong. But it's not. I promise you it's not. Everyone has different reasons for recovery - more individual ones, like specific hobbies and interests that they want to return to - but here is my fairly generic list. To have healthy, thick hair More energy To truly enjoy food, rather than fearing it To be able to have children some day To be able to travel without fears for your blood pressure To be able to run a charity race without fears for your heart health To be able to concentrate and perform better at work/school So that you can give good cuddles again So that you can make your family and friends proud So that you can be there for your friends, and celebrate birthdays with them rather than cancelling because the food horrifies you So that one day, someone can make you breakfast in bed, and you'll be able to a