Skip to main content

18 Ways to Increase Calorie Intake


Hey guys,

I know a lot of people struggle to get a sufficient intake to become an ideal weight during recovery, and, whilst I recommend working with a nutritionist or counselor to resolve the underlying issues and help you become more comfortable with an increased intake and volume, this is my advice for getting sufficient energy in the meantime.

I also want to point out that I am in no way a nutritionist, I am just pointing out what worked for me! 😊


  1. Smoothies are great if you struggle with an increased volume. To these, you can add things like nut butter, seeds, coconut oil, avocados, dates, bananas and protein powder
  2. Cook foods in oil where possible, rather than water
  3. Opt for dried fruit rather than fresh
  4. Add extra toppings to your oatmeal, such as coconut chips, peanut butter, dark chocolate, bananas, dates, nuts and/or seeds
  5. Swap simple side salads for those featuring nuts, beans, seeds, extra veggies etc. 
  6. Switch side salads for things like beans or mushy peas when you are having baked potatoes, or rice when you are having curries and chillis
  7. Eat more frequently, maybe having 4-8 more manageable meals each day
  8. Drink your calories in things like milk, yoghurt drinks, nutritional drinks and protein shakes
  9. Snack more often, especially on things like nuts and seeds
  10. Incorporate more fat into your diet, especially if you are struggling with issues relating to hormones (healthy fats include avocado, nuts and seeds, olive oil, and dark chocolate)
  11. Limit your exercise so that more nutrition goes into repairing your body
  12. Swap dressings like salsa for those with more nutrients, like tahini, coleslaw or guacamole
  13. Stop using the low fat versions of things like milk or yoghurt, and opt for those with full nutrition
  14. Use a bit extra of dressings and spreads
  15. Use more toppings on your food, such as cheese or substitute, sauces and dressings
  16. Eat dessert if you feel like it/have room to (recovery is all about eating what you feel like and letting go of restrictions; if you want dessert, enjoy it!)
  17. Cut down on caffeine and other stimulants that may be suppressing your appetite and hunger
  18. Allow other people to serve you food or dine out if you are struggling to know what a normal portion looks like

That's all I can think of today, and I hope it helps!
If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear about them in the comments :)
-A




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fear of Losing Your Identity

Hey guys, I have had other friends with EDs, and I know that a really prevalent fear that comes with recovering is the fear of losing your identity. EDs are all-consuming, so much so that you rarely think of anything else. All your hobbies relate to food and/or exercise - you have a passion for the gym, food shopping, are suddenly interested in nutrition, making and gathering recipes, or cooking. So when you think of leaving your ED behind... what are you left with? This is the scary bit. But it's also great. It's an opportunity to totally reinvent yourself, and be the person that you want to be. For some people, it's exciting to go back to who they were and revisit old hobbies, but for others, like myself, they're terrified of being the person that they used to be. But the thing is, when you strip away your ED, you're left with a blank canvas, and you can fill it with whatever you want. This is the time to create a life, and live your dreams (even if you don...

Tips to Feel More Body-Positive (Quickly)

Hi team, I'm actually coping okay with the weight gain at the moment. I can actually feel some clarity coming back into my mind, which is wonderful; I'm sleeping most nights, and the bodies I once aspired to now seem too thin, as does my own body whilst I'm still weight restoring. I never thought I'd say any of that. But here we are. Anywho, I still get not-so positive days. It's to be expected. And it's okay. The main thing is to have a healthy outlet, one that doesn't involve losing weight or punishing myself. These tips may not work for everyone, but they've been handy for me on what I refer to as "the black days". When you look in the mirror and don't like what you see... Do a silly dance, or pull a funny face Say something silly (you might feel like an idiot, but I find it pretty difficult to be sad if I'm repeatedly saying "Boopity boop", or "Fluffy kittens") Make a list of the top 10 things yo...

Introduction

Hi, I'm A! I'm currently in recovery from anorexia, and will be using this blog for my thoughts and to document anything that helps me along the way. I'm hoping that it will keep me accountable, and that one day I'll be able to look back and see how far I've come. I'm not really sure 100% what direction this blog will take - recovery isn't the same for anyone - but if you stick around, hopefully there will be some good and happy times to come :)