Skip to main content

25 Reasons to Love Your Body


Hi team,

This may not work for everyone, but, for me, it really helps to disassociate with my body somewhat during recovery. I'm aiming not to feel totally disconnected of course, but it reassures me to know that I am not my legs, or my stomach, or my arms, or even my face. These are just things that make up the body I have, and that body is the mode of transport for my life. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it's still a pretty fantastic thing.

I decided to try and make a big ol' list (yep, I love lists) for all the things that we should try to appreciate about our bodies.


  1. Your blood carries platelets to control the bleeding every time you get a cut
  2. Your brain can create the most beautiful dreams whilst you sleep
  3. Your brain makes sure that you always carry on breathing, even when you're asleep
  4. Your bones can repair themselves after you break them
  5. Your blood can cure you of viruses and make you better again
  6. Your legs and arms allow you to dance and express joy
  7. Your eyes can see the beauty of the trees, fields, mountains and rivers
  8. Your eyes themselves are beautiful, too
  9. Your arms can hold the one(s) you love
  10. Your hands can write beautiful poems and turn the pages of books
  11. Your brain can rewire itself to create a new habit in 21 days
  12. Your bones and muscles have elongated and changed to allow you to grow
  13. Your brain releases the hormones capable of boosting your mood and making life fun
  14. Your body always tries to get the right temperature for you, and will sweat if you're too hot or shiver if you're too cold
  15. Your muscles and tissues are repaired as you sleep
  16. Your tastebuds - all 10,000 of them - let you register the most amazing tastes
  17. You brain senses pain so that you can quickly back away and protect your body
  18. Your tears wash things out of your eyes that may damage you
  19. Your nose can detect about 10,000 smells - and some of them may be ones you really like (wake up and smell the coffee, anyone?)
  20. Your eyes are capable of processing 36,000 pieces of information per hour, to make your life less confusing
  21. Your brain retains memories, meaning that you can buy thoughtful gifts, recognize dangerous situations and reflect on the good times
  22. Your brain can completely ignore pain in times of shock and trauma, making it less awful for you
  23. Your feet can walk miles on end, and take you to some really beautiful places
  24. Your heart keeps beating at all times to keep you alive
  25. Your body loves you 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips to Feel More Body-Positive (Quickly)

Hi team, I'm actually coping okay with the weight gain at the moment. I can actually feel some clarity coming back into my mind, which is wonderful; I'm sleeping most nights, and the bodies I once aspired to now seem too thin, as does my own body whilst I'm still weight restoring. I never thought I'd say any of that. But here we are. Anywho, I still get not-so positive days. It's to be expected. And it's okay. The main thing is to have a healthy outlet, one that doesn't involve losing weight or punishing myself. These tips may not work for everyone, but they've been handy for me on what I refer to as "the black days". When you look in the mirror and don't like what you see... Do a silly dance, or pull a funny face Say something silly (you might feel like an idiot, but I find it pretty difficult to be sad if I'm repeatedly saying "Boopity boop", or "Fluffy kittens") Make a list of the top 10 things yo...

The Fear of Losing Your Identity

Hey guys, I have had other friends with EDs, and I know that a really prevalent fear that comes with recovering is the fear of losing your identity. EDs are all-consuming, so much so that you rarely think of anything else. All your hobbies relate to food and/or exercise - you have a passion for the gym, food shopping, are suddenly interested in nutrition, making and gathering recipes, or cooking. So when you think of leaving your ED behind... what are you left with? This is the scary bit. But it's also great. It's an opportunity to totally reinvent yourself, and be the person that you want to be. For some people, it's exciting to go back to who they were and revisit old hobbies, but for others, like myself, they're terrified of being the person that they used to be. But the thing is, when you strip away your ED, you're left with a blank canvas, and you can fill it with whatever you want. This is the time to create a life, and live your dreams (even if you don...

60 Reasons to Recover

Hi warriors, Recovery is hard. It's demotivating. You fight for so long to get down to a low weight, that having to gain weight just feels... wrong. But it's not. I promise you it's not. Everyone has different reasons for recovery - more individual ones, like specific hobbies and interests that they want to return to - but here is my fairly generic list. To have healthy, thick hair More energy To truly enjoy food, rather than fearing it To be able to have children some day To be able to travel without fears for your blood pressure To be able to run a charity race without fears for your heart health To be able to concentrate and perform better at work/school So that you can give good cuddles again So that you can make your family and friends proud So that you can be there for your friends, and celebrate birthdays with them rather than cancelling because the food horrifies you So that one day, someone can make you breakfast in bed, and you'll be able to a...